Staff/Principal Surface Chemist
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $44 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
As Staff/Principal Surface Chemist, you will lead surface coating efforts as a member of our growing surface chemistry team. You will contribute scientific leadership and skills to a multi-disciplinary team of scientists and engineers (including chemists, chemical engineers, biophysicists, and computer scientists) who develop surface coatings for commercial application while meeting project timelines. This position requires a strong working knowledge of surface coating and characterization techniques, especially related to biofunctionalization, passivation, and antifouling of chip surfaces. The key requirements of the role are to provide strong technical skills across a breadth of techniques, exceptional intuition for developing robust surface coating protocols, and passion for applied research.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Lead projects to develop and optimize surface coating protocols for biofunctionalization, passivation, and antifouling
- Characterize surface coatings based on composition, morphology, and functionality
- Work collaboratively with a multi-disciplinary team of engineers and scientists to evaluate and optimize system-level performance
- Collaborate with manufacturing teams and vendors for production processing
- Explore new materials and methods for achieving performance improvements
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, communication, and presentation skills
- Ph.D. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or a closely related field
- At least 8 years of supervisory and project leadership experience in a biotech, research, or similar organization
- Deep domain knowledge in surface chemistry and demonstrated experience in addressing the needs of high performance and manufacturability
- Expertise in surface functionalization for reagent immobilization and passivation against protein fouling
- Hands-on experience with techniques for characterizing composition and morphology of thin organic surface coatings
- Strong mentor and coach dedicated to encouraging diverse and inclusive environments
- Creative problem-solver who can influence diverse teams to align on strategy
- Ability to foster close relationships with multi-functional colleagues across geographies
Ideally, you also have these skills/experiences/attributes (but it’s ok if you don’t!):
- Experience with single-molecule assays
- Experience with process transfer from R&D into manufacturing
- Experience with surface coatings on wafers/chips
You Deeply Identify with Core Quantum-Si Values:
- Team: We are stronger as a unit and collectively committed to the goal and each other.
- Accountability: Be accountable to the goal, the team and yourself.
- Passion: We are enthusiastic and dedicated to expanding scientific understanding and its impact.
- Excellence: Be aggressive and have a sense of urgency but take pride in each task taken on.
- Transparency: We align as an organization and communicate success and challenge.
- Competitive: We do not fear but learn from making mistakes. We play to win!
- Diversity: Each individual regardless of role makes a difference and impacts our progress.
We offer great perks:
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Fully covered medical insurance plan along with a generous company sponsored health reimbursement account, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Company paid life insurance, short term and long term disability
- Flexible Paid Time Off - personal responsibility for managing our own time, workload and results plus 14 paid holidays inclusive of MLK Day, Juneteenth, Indigenous People’s Day and Veterans Day
- Parental Leave - we provide a generous 10 week parental leave and additional 6-8 weeks pregnancy related leave for birthing parents
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office in the heart of San Diego
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.