Staff Scientist, Biochemistry
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $44 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
As Staff Scientist, Biochemistry, you will bring expertise in working with complex protein/enzyme systems and improving their performance for our technology. In this role, you will be responsible for the development, optimization, and troubleshooting of protein reagents at the core of next-generation protein sequencing technology. You must have a deep love for working in a fast-paced startup environment and are self-motivated.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Purify and characterize proteins/enzymes at different bacterial expression scales
- Optimize and execute high throughput screening methods for proteins/enzymes
- Label proteins and evaluate them with ensemble and single molecule assays
- Characterization of proteins and biological systems using biochemical techniques
- Design, execute and interpret protein kinetic assays
- Report results to scientific team and work effectively with a cross-functional team
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, communication, and presentation skills
- Demonstrate a commitment to delivering high quality results, overcoming challenges, and focusing on what matters
- Ph.D. scientist with 8+ years of industry or academic post-doctoral experience in protein biochemistry / Biophysics/ Biotechnology or related field with a strong publication record.
- Expertise in expression and purification of proteins, chromatography (HPLC, AKTA), site-directed mutagenesis, protein/peptide labeling, enzyme-substrate interaction assays, and manipulation of peptides and proteins
- Experience in protein/enzyme assay development
- Ability to set up and operate complex instrumentation and laboratory automation preferred
- Ability to plan, execute and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate
- Excellent organizational, analytical, communication and presentation skills
- Experience using computational techniques to analyze biological data
- Rapid kinetics enzymology experience is desirable
- Biophysical experience with quantitative single molecule assays is a plus
- Biochemical experience in proteolytic enzymes is a plus
- Peptide chemistry and quantitative mass spec experience is a plus
- Protein engineering experience using genetic, enzymatic, chemo-enzymatic, chemical, or related methodologies desirable
You Deeply Identify with Core Quantum-Si Values:
- Team: We are stronger as a unit and collectively committed to the goal and each other.
- Accountability: Be accountable to the goal, the team and yourself.
- Passion: We are enthusiastic and dedicated to expanding scientific understanding and its impact.
- Excellence: Be aggressive and have a sense of urgency but take pride in each task taken on.
- Transparency: We align as an organization and communicate success and challenge.
- Competitive: We do not fear but learn from making mistakes. We play to win!
- Diversity: Each individual regardless of role makes a difference and impacts our progress.
We offer great perks:
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Fully covered medical insurance plan along with a generous company sponsored health reimbursement account, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Company paid life insurance, short term and long term disability
- Flexible Paid Time Off - personal responsibility for managing our own time, workload and results plus 14 paid holidays inclusive of MLK Day, Juneteenth, Indigenous People’s Day and Veterans Day
- Parental Leave - we provide a generous 10 week parental leave and additional 6-8 weeks pregnancy related leave for birthing parents
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office near the ocean-front in historic Guilford, Connecticut
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.