Principal Protein Engineer
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $44 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
As Senior/Staff, Protein Engineering you will lead protein development efforts for a major initiative related to our core single-molecule technology platform. You will contribute scientific leadership and skills to a multi-disciplinary team of scientists (including biologists, chemists, and computer scientists) who will develop highly innovative proteins for commercial application while meeting project timelines. A strong working knowledge of biochemical/biophysical techniques, especially related to high-throughput protein development and screening including but not limited to mass spectrometry, protein purification/characterization, chromatography, kinetic assays, immunoassays, molecular biology, phage or SNAP display or SELEX. The key requirements of the role are to provide strong technical skills across a breadth of classical and protein engineering techniques, exceptional scientific achievement and intuition, and passion for basic and applied research.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Lead the protein chemistry team to develop advanced bioanalytical and biophysical characterization of functional proteins for QSI product kits;
- Work with outside vendors to develop production scale SOPs for expression and purification of functional proteins;
- Develop troubleshooting strategies to resolve technical problems related to instruments and operation.
- Establish protocols for QC, QA, and FA (quality control, Quality Assurance, and Failure Analysis)
- Create product stability and shelf-life profile and advise operation team on packaging, shipping, and storage.
- Explore protein chemistry protocols such as enzymatic and chemical methods including protease cleavage, folding and conditioning, bioconjugation of fluorophores and biotin, and protein formulations.
- Ph.D. in protein biochemistry, biophysics, biological chemistry, structural biology, or related field with 3-5 years of relevant experience beyond education/postdoctoral training in a pharmaceutical, biotech, or research organization
- 5 years experience in biotech or pharmaceutical industry with supervisory and project leadership responsibilities.
- Passion to use a deep domain knowledge in protein engineering and structural biology to accelerate innovation.
- Expertise in molecular biology, protein characterization, NGS, lab automation/robotics, protein-protein interactions, SAR, protein conjugation, and protein structure prediction.
- Strong mentor and coach. Dedication to encouraging diverse and inclusive environments.
- Creative problem-solver who can influence diverse teams to align on strategy.
- Ability to foster close relationships with multi-functional colleagues across geographies.
You Deeply Identify with Core Quantum-Si Values:
- Intellectually Curious - you are thoughtful & inquisitive; people enjoy working with you because they learn from you
- Mission-Driven & Committed - you are passionate about the company's purpose
- Team Oriented - you celebrate and take joy in the success of others on the team
- Efficient & Speedy - you get work done in less time than your industry peers
We offer great perks:
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks.
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office in the heart of San Diego
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.