Principal Scientist, Protein Process Development and Manufacturing
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $44 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
We seek a dynamic and experienced biochemist with upstream and downstream process development. The ideal candidate has experience expressing and purifying 10s of microbial proteins to mid-scale levels (gram quantities), preferably for life science research kits. Experience operating a pilot manufacturing facility in-house and transferring refined processes to larger-scale CROs are the core elements of the position. The purification methods must be robust, scalable, and cost-effective. You can reach into a dynamic R&D organization and scale novel protein candidates monthly. Communication between internal R&D and Operations teams and external vendors is critical. You will be responsible for building a small group while spending 50% of your time in the lab.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Lead the protein chemistry team to develop advanced bioanalytical and biophysical characterization of functional proteins for QSI product kits;
- Work with outside vendors to develop production scale SOPs for expression and purification of functional proteins;
- Develop troubleshooting strategies to resolve technical problems related to instruments and operation.
- Establish protocols for QC, QA, and FA (quality control, Quality Assurance, and Failure Analysis)
- Create product stability and shelf-life profile and advise operation team on packaging, shipping, and storage.
- Explore protein chemistry protocols such as enzymatic and chemical methods including protease cleavage, folding and conditioning, bioconjugation of fluorophores and biotin, and protein formulations.
- At least ten years of industrial biotech experience related to process development, scale-up, or manufacturing of microbial proteins.
- Experience with management and supervising technical staff.
- Ph.D. or equivalent experience in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- In-depth expertise and experience with protein purification, including familiarity with AKTA lab-scale and preparative chromatography systems, as well as Unicorn software.
- Develop and implement assays to assess product quality.
You Deeply Identify with Core Quantum-Si Values:
- Team: We are stronger as a unit and collectively committed to the goal and each other.
- Accountability: Be accountable to the goal, the team and yourself.
- Passion: We are enthusiastic and dedicated to expanding scientific understanding and its impact.
- Excellence: Be aggressive and have a sense of urgency but take pride in each task taken on.
- Transparency: We align as an organization and communicate success and challenge.
- Competitive: We do not fear but learn from making mistakes. We play to win!
- Diversity: Each individual regardless of role makes a difference and impacts our progress.
We offer great perks:
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Fully covered medical insurance plan along with a generous company sponsored health reimbursement account, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Company paid life insurance, short term and long term disability
- Flexible Paid Time Off - personal responsibility for managing our own time, workload and results plus 14 paid holidays inclusive of MLK Day, Juneteenth, Indigenous People’s Day and Veterans Day
- Parental Leave - we provide a generous 10 week parental leave and additional 6-8 weeks pregnancy related leave for birthing parents
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office in the heart of San Diego
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.