Senior/Staff Scientist, Protein Engineering
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $44 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
As Senior/Staff Scientist, Protein Engineering you will lead development efforts for a major initiative related to our core single-molecule technology platform. You will contribute scientific leadership and skills to a multi-disciplinary team of scientists (including biologists, chemists, and computer scientists) who will develop highly innovative proteins for commercial application while meeting project timelines. You possess a strong working knowledge of biochemical/biophysical techniques, especially related to high-throughput screening including but not limited to in vitro evolution, phage, yeast, or SNAP display, SELEX, protein purification/characterization, chromatography, kinetic assays, and molecular biology. The key requirements of the role are to provide strong technical skills across a breadth of classical and protein engineering techniques, exceptional scientific achievement and intuition, and passion for basic and applied research.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Help setup, organize and design a new R&D site for single-molecule biochemistry and product development.
- Apply directed evolution methods to engineer proteins with novel or improved binding properties and characteristics appropriate for single molecule assays.
- Design and execute high-throughput in vitro evolution screens against a variety of targets.
- Design and generate mutagenesis libraries for high throughput selection.
- Optimize expression and purification of engineered proteins from a variety of sources.
- Execute biochemical/biophysical assays to characterize novel proteins.
- Report results and work effectively with a cross-functional team.
- Plan, execute, and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, communication, and presentation skills.
- PhD in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry, Molecular Biology, Structural Biology or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of professional experience in using progressive research and/or product development roles.
- Technical proficiency in general laboratory practices, particularly Biochemistry/Molecular Biology, including but not limited to: NGS, in-vitro display or related directed evolution techniques, chromatography (HPLC, AKTA), protein characterization, site-directed mutagenesis, bioconjugation, and enzymology.
Ideally, you also have these skills/experiences/attributes (but it’s ok if you don’t!):
- Professional experience in the discovery and development of therapeutic antibodies and/or nanobodies.
- Experience building assay technologies utilizing single-molecule systems, genomics, proteomics, immunology or other fields.
- Experience working with post-translationally modified proteins.
You Deeply Identify with Core Quantum-Si Values:
- Team: We are stronger as a unit and collectively committed to the goal and each other.
- Accountability: Be accountable to the goal, the team and yourself.
- Passion: We are enthusiastic and dedicated to expanding scientific understanding and its impact.
- Excellence: Be aggressive and have a sense of urgency but take pride in each task taken on.
- Transparency: We align as an organization and communicate success and challenge.
- Competitive: We do not fear but learn from making mistakes. We play to win!
- Diversity: Each individual regardless of role makes a difference and impacts our progress.
We offer great perks:
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Free onsite meals + kitchen stocked with snacks.
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office in the heart of San Diego
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.