Senior/Staff Scientist, Protein Engineering
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $36 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
The R&D team at Quantum-Si is responsible for bringing our technology to life. For more than a decade, next-generation DNA sequencing has transformed every aspect of the life sciences. However, genetics is only one component of human disease. New tools are required to understand how genes interact with the environment to improve how we develop drugs, diagnose patients, and combat outbreaks. The R&D team plays a critical role in developing products that will be used all around the world. Come work alongside a world-class team of scientists and engineers to define a new frontier for next generation sequencing.
As Senior/Staff, Protein Engineering you will lead assay development efforts for a major initiative related to our core single-molecule technology platform. You will contribute scientific leadership and skills to a multi-disciplinary team of scientists (including biologists, chemists, and computer scientists) who will develop highly innovative assay options for commercial application while meeting project timelines. A strong working knowledge of biochemical/biophysical techniques, especially related to high-throughput screening including but not limited to mass spectrometry, protein purification/characterization, chromatography, kinetic assays, immunoassays, molecular biology, phage or SNAP display or SELEX. The key requirements of the role are to provide strong technical skills across a breadth of classical and protein engineering techniques, exceptional scientific achievement and intuition, and passion for basic and applied research.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Help setup, organize and design a new R&D site for single-molecule biochemistry and product development.
- Purify and characterize proteins/enzymes at various scales and in different systems.
- Apply directed evolution methods to engineer proteins with novel or improved binding properties and other characteristics.
- Label proteins and evaluate them with biochemical assays.
- Execute and interpret protein kinetic assays.
- Report results and work effectively with a cross-functional team.
- Design and prepare DNA libraries for high throughput selection.
- Set up and operate complex instrumentation and laboratory automation
- Plan, execute, and evaluate multiple scientific strategies in parallel where appropriate
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, analytical, communication, and presentation skills
- Experience in assay development is desirable
- Experience using computational techniques, especially molecular simulation or other common tools for protein/enzyme engineering.
- Advanced degree(s) in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in using progressive research and/or product development roles.
- Technical proficiency in general laboratory practices, particularly Biochemistry/Molecular Biology, including but not limited to: chromatography (HPLC, AKTA), site-directed mutagenesis, protein labeling, enzyme-substrate interaction assays, phage or SNAP display or related techniques.
- Professional experience in ideation and incubation which has led to shipping products a strong plus.
- Experience building assay technologies utilizating single-molecule systems, genomics, proteomics, immunology or other fields is strongly preferred.
You deeply identify with core Quantum-Si values:
- Efficient & Speedy - you get work done in a fraction of the time as industry peers
- Intellectually Curious - you are thoughtful & inquisitive; people enjoy working with you because they learn from you
- Mission-Driven & Committed - you are passionate about the company's purpose and are immensely productive
- Team Oriented - you celebrate and take joy in the success of others on the team
We offer great perks:
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office in Sorrento Mesa area of San Diego
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Applicants, please answer the following in your cover letter:
Describe an exciting scientific problem that you have worked on and what you found most appealing.
What aspects of Quantum-Si most interest you?
Please describe yourself in one word.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.