Group Leader, Single-Molecule Assay Development
Quantum-Si is pioneering a new generation of technology to create the market of Next Generation Protein Sequencing (NGPS). Similar to Next Generation DNA Sequencing (NGS), which gave us a blueprint of what could happen by studying our DNA, NGPS enables an unbiased view of the proteome through improved scale, resolution, and sensitivity leading to better understanding of disease and improved general health.
We operate at the intersection of biochemistry, chemistry, hardware, molecular biology, photonics, semiconductor chips, and software with a goal to drive a digital transformation of a $36 billion dollar proteomics market.
Join us on the journey to transform healthcare, motivated by the idea that the products you work on will change the lives of millions of people around the world.
The R&D team at Quantum-Si is responsible for bringing our technology to life. For more than a decade, next-generation DNA sequencing has transformed every aspect of the life sciences. However, genetics is only one component of human disease. New tools are required to understand how genes interact with the environment to improve how we develop drugs, diagnose patients, and combat outbreaks. The R&D team plays a critical role in developing products that will be used all around the world. Come work alongside a world-class team of scientists and engineers to define a new frontier for next generation sequencing.
As Group Leader, you will lead assay development efforts for a major initiative related to our core single-molecule technology platform. You will be responsible for leading a multi-disciplinary team of scientists (including biologists, chemists, and computer scientists) who will develop highly innovative assay options for commercial application while meeting project timelines. With a strong understanding of the stages of assay development, including experimental design, proof-of-concept testing, assay characterization, and other early productization processes, the Group Leader will work with the engineering team (hardware, photonics, chips) to investigate and innovate high-impact solutions and prototypes using our core instrumentation. Key requirements of the role are: provide strong technical product development leadership, exceptional scientific credibility and intuition, coupled with equally effective project management skills.
As part of our team, your core responsibilities will be:
- Help setup, organize and design a new R&D site for single-molecule biochemistry and product development.
- Create a dynamic research road map for assay development; lead experimental design and analysis with the team; ensure attainment of key milestones and checkpoints; and adhere to commercial input, timelines and budgets.
- Mentor, support and effectively manage a team of cross-disciplinary lab and data scientists.
- Participate in the development of a strong product pipeline and a portfolio of technologies with the aim of productization.
- Formulate and implement long-term strategy with respect to new and emerging technologies that advance company objectives.
- Attract, develop, and retain top talent for the team, while motivating staff to continually improve its performance.
- Develop and ensure strong collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Collaborate with lawyers, engineers, and scientists, as required, to write and submit patentable inventions.
- Advanced degree(s) in Biochemistry, Biophysics, Chemistry, Molecular Biology or related field.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in using progressive research and/or product development leadership roles.
- Experience in building and scaling research teams, with the proven ability to attract, inspire, motivate, and retain top-tier talent.
- Proven ability to establish, articulate and implement a concrete research plan that clearly aligns with corporate and commercial goals.
- Experience with matrixed teams and external business partners.
- Professional experience in ideation and incubation which has led to shipping products a strong plus.
- Experience building assay technologies utilizating single-molecule systems, genomics, proteomics, immunology or other fields is strongly preferred.
You deeply identify with core Quantum-Si values:
- Efficient & Speedy - you get work done in a fraction of the time as industry peers
- Intellectually Curious - you are thoughtful & inquisitive; people enjoy working with you because they learn from you
- Mission-Driven & Committed - you are passionate about the company's purpose and are immensely productive
- Team Oriented - you celebrate and take joy in the success of others on the team
We offer great perks:
- Fully covered medical insurance plan, and dental & vision coverage - as a health-tech company, we place great worth on our teams’ well-being
- Competitive salaried compensation - we value our employees and show it
- Equity - we want every employee to be a stakeholder
- Pre-tax commuter benefits - we make your commute more reasonable
- Kitchen stocked with snacks
- 401k plan - we facilitate your retirement goals
- Beautiful office in Sorrento Mesa area of San Diego
- The opportunity to build a revolutionary healthcare product and save millions of lives!
For this role, we provide visa assistance for qualified candidates.
Applicants, please answer the following in your cover letter:
Describe an exciting scientific problem that you have worked on and what you found most appealing.
What aspects of Quantum-Si most interest you?
Please describe yourself in one word.
Quantum-Si does not accept agency resumes.
Quantum-Si is an E-Verify and equal opportunity employer regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.